Picture

Picture

Monday, March 30, 2015

Experiencing the Ekstremsport Veko in Voss, Norway

Once again, I am WAY behind on this post. Life has really gotten in the way of my blogging, but I guess thats ok! So I already showed you a taste of what my work life looked life in Norway, but now its time to show you what I did during my off time. I had some awesome experiences (mostly kayaking) all around the country including getting to attend and race in the Ekstremsport Veko, a really cool extreme sports festival hosted in Voss, Norway each summer. 

Statoil hot dogs, the only affordable food in Norway; 
Sadly something I ate my fair share of while traveling there
My first bit of free time in Norway coincided perfectly with the Ekstremsport Veko, a week long festival which showcases the best of Norway's (and the World's) extreme sports. There was biking, skiing, flying, falling and a whole lot of charging. 

A trials biker grabbing some air
A skydiver coming in for a landing

Wing suiters coming in for landing

Live music

Instead of paying for the festival campground, the kayakers mostly found a spot along side the lake that made for a great place to post up during the festival. Far enough to be able to sleep at night, but still walking distance. It was a perfect little spot. 


Cooking dinner over the campfire 

The kayakers take over

One of the elements of the Veko that we were most interested in was the kayak race of course. Due to low water on the section that is typically raced, they had to move it to the Myrkdal on a section that included a rarely run rapid (not because it is too dangerous, but rather because its not conveniently located). All the kayakers in town were excited to do some practice laps before the race. We all started by scouting the rarely run rapid. I felt like I had a good handle on what I wanted to do so off I went before waiting for too many others to give it a go. Turns out my plan was actually not good at all! On the first rapid of my first practice lap I swam like a carp with the best and the brightest athletes of the sport of kayaking watching. It was awesome. 


Kevin paddling through the rapid that I swam out of (I swam at the hole at the bottom)
After my swim, I was determined to get back and run the rapid again before doing anything else. I knew if I waited too long I might get a head case about it, so up I hiked back to the top (after some re-evaluating of course). I styled the drop a few times before I allowed myself to head downstream to check out the rest of the section. It was good practice for my head game. 

The next morning it was time to race! The race started below a waterfall and had a handful of solid but fun rapids before the finish. My first lap I just wanted to make it down successfully without swimming which I did! yay! This was actually a small feat as I think around 50% of the females that entered swam in their first lap.  I made it to the second round and placed fourth overall. Was certainly not the best showing of my life, but considering how my practice lap started, I was pretty happy about it!

David's ready to go fast! (And he did!)
Looking upstream at the starting line
David Maurier races through the top drop of the course

Racing through one of the taller drops on the race section

Kevin moves through the lower part of the race course 



After the race, the real adventure began! It was time to paddle downstream into the Lower Mrykdal, a steep creek section filled with lots of vertical fun! Unfortunately due to the timing of the day, I was not able to get too many good shots. But the one's I do have are all of Kiwi Mo.

Mo sporting his checkered facial hair
Mo runs a big drop switch aka backwards
Mo at the final drop on the Lower Myrkdal

On my hike out of the river I found this very friendly sheep.

#SheepSelfiesAreTheBest

For an idea of what a day at the veko looked like, check out this "video of the day" (https://vimeo.com/99312741#at=0) which includes yours truly in the kayaking race. This festival is a must do for anyone in the extreme sports world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment